Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Money simply does it!

Yesterday hubby and I went to the UK visa application centre, in preparation for our holiday later in the year. I didn’t know how to take permission from work, I didn’t want to lie about where I was going and I didn’t want anyone in the office to know my family plans.
So I decided to squeeze out of the office during my lunch hour which could extend a lit bit over an hour.

Hubby picked me up from the office and we headed for the Island. All the while hubby thought the application centre was still at V. I. until I told him they had relocated to Lekki. Suddenly, I asked hubby for the investment document which was to show how much we had saved up for this trip, only for hubby to tell me he forgot to get it from the bank. I was completely weak. So I said to him there’s no point applying for a visa without such a vital document.

So we agreed to turn around and drive to the bank in Apapa, to pick up the document. All the while I was already fidgeting; I didn’t want to be late for work.

We made it to the application centre in 30 minutes after the merry go round. You trust all application centres, there was a ridiculously long queue, we were giving a tag – number 155. I just smiled and thought to myself I’m in hot oil today!

We met a uniformed security guard at the entrance and he asked us if we were VIP’s we said No. We told him we wanted to get things done quickly and he said we had to pay N10,000 each for VIP. I quickly whispered to hubby that he should pay. The guard went on to say we could pay 5,000 and they will smuggle us to the front on the regular queue. Hubby and I agreed (I was just thinking of how to get back to work).

So we got in to the waiting room where documents were been checked and sat down. Another security guy was in charge here, he was calling numbers. When we got in, he was on number 113. Apparently, the first security guard had already signalled to him about us. Like thirty minutes later, he called us up to have our documents checked, at this time he was on number 117, remember we were number 155.

We had our documents checked and proceeded to pay, immediately we got there the security guard took us to the next available cashier (I guess he had been signalled to as well). We were done with payments in 5mins.
Before, we headed upstairs for submission and biometrics, the security guard asked hubby to go to the toilet and he’d meet him there. I left them and went upstairs.
Hubby met me upstairs. The people in the waiting room here were not many but as we were in a hurry, hubby spoke to the security guy and before we knew it we next.
Finally, biometrics, this was pretty easy because no one was before us. Another security guy came to us and acted like he wanted to brief us. This was how the conversation went.
Guard: The guy say you go settle am, say make u give me (the guard held our file and acted like he was showing us what to do)
Hubby and I: Ok ( while nodding our heads in comprehension)
Guard: You go do like say you wan drink water from the machine, then u go throw the money inside the dustbin with the cup.
Hubby and I: Ok
Well, I went in immediately for my biometrics, so I don’t really know how hubby settled the guy.
Eventually, I was out of there in an hour and back at my desk ten minutes later.
Long and short of the story, you can get your way with money. How sad!
... but money answers all things. Ecclesiastes 10:19 (American King James Version)

4 comments:

  1. sad truth, it has eroded the country so much, the damage unfortunately goes beyond Nigerian walls, for example the US will not accept certain "legal" documents from Nigeria, at those times, you can't help but shake your head in disappointment once again at the country you call home. I still love naija but things have to make a turn around for the better, it ain't even funny anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like NewLife said, it's really sad that those who pay money for stuff in Naija (for things that are supposed to be free) get things done faster, and those who remain honest suffer. It's hard to live in the country when things are like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ NewLife and Jaycee - I've found out that the bribery culture cuts across alot of countries. I pray things get better and I pray I'm a good citizen as well.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. "How sad".. But u did it anyway.

    ReplyDelete