Friday, July 9, 2010

My Story.

I’ve always looked forward to sharing my story on my blog. I’ve shared bits and pieces of it with people when they need to be motivated but not the full story because I never even know where to start from. After watching Khadija on Oprah and reading her story, I thought it was high time I wrote something because I could identify with some aspects of her life.

I come from a financially unstable rich-poor family. I attended the best of schools in Nigeria, Vivian Fowler, Atlantic Hall and a private university. I’ve travelled first class on summer holidays to Europe and the Middle East. I’ve drank Garri and sold pure water to keep body and soul together. I’ve cried myself to bed because I was hungry and didn’t have food to eat. I’ve lost a lot of friends because I couldn’t keep up or just didn’t fit into their “class” anymore. I’ve missed school loads of times because my dad couldn’t afford to pay my school fees.
But in all I didn’t give up. I knew I wanted to be a great person; I’M A DREAMER and was not willing to trade that for anything in the world.
I never saw myself as an exceptional student. I went through school like everyone striving to do well in class. I was never an A student but I managed between a B and C sometimes maybe a D or E. When I was in junior school, the school principal gave a few of us letters inviting our parents for a meeting. My dad went with me and the principal informed us that I was behind in my academics and they were not sure if they would allow me write the junior secondary exams because my chances of passing were slim (till today I really don’t know how they came to that conclusion). My dad was upset and after discussions with my mum, my parents agreed to change my school.
I began to do well in my new school and I even came second once. I remember I liked to go to the library a lot. I liked to look at all the books and read a few. I just knew I wanted to make it in life.
I graduated high school with the usual B’s and C’s but I didn’t get into University because I couldn’t pass JAMB exam. After struggling unsuccessfully to get into Uni for 2 years, I applied to two of the private universities in Nigeria and I was given admission into the two schools.
I entered Uni and I found out that people I went to high school with were either in their junior and senior years while I was still a freshman (my uni runs the American system). I tried to still be friends with a few of them but a lot had changed. So, I settled for my fellow freshmen but for some reason I don’t know, I couldn’t make friends easily, so, I made my books my friends.
My first semester results were just average. My second semester result was a whopping 4.80 out of a 5.00 GPA. This result was a wakeup call for me. I was not as stupid and dumb like some of my high school teachers had told me.
So at the beginning of every semester, I’d write out the grades I wanted to get on my course form for the fun of it. In my third year, I was looking through my documents and I discovered that I always got exactly what I wrote down only in one or two cases I had a B when I wrote an A and that was when the verse-write the vision, and make it plain on tables, that he may run that reads it, became real to me.
I began to trust God for wisdom. I read the book of proverbs from beginning to the end. God gave me wisdom. I was wise and did a lot of things that ordinarily on my own I couldn’t have done. Some people disliked me because they felt I was wicked when I said I didn’t know things but the truth was I didn’t know these things but somehow I always came out top in my class. I always had a positive attitude and never dwelt on the challenge before me.
To cut my long story short, I graduated with a first class honours and also as the best graduating student in the School of Law...
I still ask myself how I did it.


For the Lord God is my helper; I will not be put to shame: so I have made my face like a rock, and I am certain that he will give me my right. Isaiah 50:7

10 comments:

  1. Wow! thats an amazing life story, so glad you didn't let those people define you, still watch out for their kind even in your adult life, all the best sweetie, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! This becomes true, isn't it, when put to every action. Well done. Best in Law School. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, seriously...this testimony is GREAT. Praise God. You had me smiling at the end. Greater things are coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ NewLife - Thanks.

    @ BlackMale - Thanks but not Law School. My department was called School of Law and Security Studies. So best graduating student in my course and my department.

    @ Jaycee - Amen and thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly inspiring. The best is yet to come, keep sharing this wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .....and you will be amazed at how many lives you will impact

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I came across your blog, your story is inspiring! Well done and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy coming across your blog!!!
    And your story??? A heart rending one
    Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like your blog, very natural and down to earth...pls dont stop encouraging people. Chhers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful person in and out you are!!!

    ReplyDelete