Thursday, June 17, 2010

Football Obsession

Hubby loves WORSHIPS football. I didn’t know his love for football was overwhelming and a bit annoying until I got married to him. I've tried as much as possible to respect his desire and stay out of his way whenever there’s a match.
I even decided to get interested in football especially when hubby raised it in marriage counselling. I began to watch out for his club, match results and chat with him about the matches, coaches and even players.
Prior to the world cup hubby sent me a memo that is been circulated widely, about how I have to keep myself in the know of upcoming matches and stay out his way during a match. I even replied him saying “Noted”.
 Hubby began to prepare for the world cup in earnest and I made a mental note to be careful so as not to get into any arguement with hubby. He chased the t.v. connection guy so he could fix a t.v. antenna in the guest room there while I had the t.v’s in the living room and the bed room to myself. Hubby insisted that he didn’t want me to disturb him whenever a match was going on.
However, I’m so so PISSED this morning. Yesterday when hubby got back from work, he told me he was going to take the t.v in the guest room to work, so he could watch the match between Nigeria and Greece the following day. And I replied saying “you’re kidding, right?” and he went on to tell me he was serious and how a colleague said he should bring the t.v. as well. I then told him that I’m sure your colleague has a t.v. at home, he should take his own t.v. to the office instead of you. I said it was absurd, I’d never heard of someone taking the t.v. to work because of football. I noticed hubby was getting angry so I said he should do whatever he likes but I did’t want to say anything about it again.  The last thing you want is for hubby to get angry coz he acts like an inconsolable baby- I hope he never sees this (Hubby has a loud voice which you can easily mistake for shouting and he gesticulates a lot).
I served him his dinner and went to bed because I was very tired.
This morning we got into the car and hubby mumbled the morning prayers, I struggled to say Amen because I could hardly hear him. He looked gloomy and I asked him what the matter was. He said he was angry that he was not going to watch Nigeria play and he went on to say I didn’t allow him take the t.v. to work. I was like what the hell? I quickly said, "we ‘re still on the street let’s go back and get the t.v." I was very furious and I pleaded with him to turn the car around, so he could get the t.v. and he said NO.
He started ranting, hubby said he had told me he loved football before we got married bla bla bla.
I almost died of embarrassment when I saw a guy staring at hubby and I in traffic (Hubby was still ranting, and I was just looking out of the window).
All these while, I was short of words, very confused and silently blaming myself for saying a word when he said he was taking the t.v. to work. I thought hubby was been so childish, unfair, and getting angry at the wrong person. As far as I’m concerned, he should be mad at FIFA for putting the match at 3:00 p.m. What if we didn't have a t.v.?
I kept quiet all through the ride to work. My head was beginning to ache terribly, still is aching. A few minutes later, hubby called me at work to tell me today is his dad’s birthday.
To my amazement, I’ve noticed that there’s an unusually coincidence that occurs when hubby and I have a disagreement. Hubby and I always happen to have a major disagreement whenever his family members are celebrating one thing or the other and I'm always so angry that the last thing I want to do is talk to anyone but instead I’m forced to smile and act like everything's ok. However, I don’t know how good I’ve been able to hide that.
Now I have to call dad to wish him a happy birthday and also very curious to see how hubby and I will end this.
A time for war, and a time for peace. (Ecclesiastes 3:8)

6 comments:

  1. nice blog...
    happy married life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. The life of newly weds. I've also realized that when we're angry at our significant others, something else comes in (something that we shd be happy about). Could this be a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jaycee - your comment happens to be a wake up call. Thanks.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is one of the most fantastic blog ever! You're down to earth.... And you act just like me. Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete